What to Do if You Are Involved in an Out of State Auto Accident While on Vacation

What should you do if you are in a car wreck while you are out of state on vacation in Myrtle Beach or Conway, SC?

With as many as 19 million visitors each year, 425 hotels and 98,600 accommodation units, the roads in the Myrtle Beach and Conway area are congested and have more than their fair share of auto accidents and motorcycle crashes each year.

For many, this results in 1) unexpected auto accidents while out of state on vacation, and 2) car crashes with tourists who will soon return home to another state.

Below, we will discuss out of state auto accidents, including:

  • What to do if you are in an accident while out of state on vacation,
  • What to do if you are in an accident with a tourist who is out of state on vacation,
  • Whether you need a local car accident lawyer, and
  • What laws apply when you are in a car accident out of state.

What to Do if You are in an Auto Accident Out of State

No one expects a car accident, a hospital visit, or the potential for life-changing tragedy when they hit the road for a family vacation. It can be overwhelming, confusing, and… what should you do now?

If you are in a car accident while on vacation in Myrtle Beach, you should:

  • Report the accident to law enforcement – if you leave the scene without first calling the police, 1) you may be committing a crime, and 2) you may be hurting any civil claims you have for damages,
  • Get medical attention immediately – let EMS check you out at the scene, take the ambulance ride if they recommend it, and follow up on any recommendations from the ER doctors and your doctors back home,
  • Gather evidence at the crash site if you can do so safely – get the names and contact information for any witnesses, and take photos or video of the accident site, roadway, vehicles, and injuries,
  • Notify your insurance company that the crash happened, but do not talk to the other driver’s insurance company or sign any release forms unless it is for property damage only, and
  • Call a local auto accident attorney immediately – before you leave town.

Do You Need a Local Car Accident Lawyer in Myrtle Beach or Conway, SC?

Do you need a local auto accident attorney? Can’t you just call your attorney back home and get them to represent you?

In most cases, you should immediately contact a local attorney before leaving town. Your attorney back home may be able to look at local attorneys and make a recommendation for you, but, in most situations, they cannot represent you in another state unless they are licensed in that state.

Your local personal injury lawyer knows SC law on liability and damages, knows the local courts, attorneys, and civil procedure, and is in the best position to help you. Your Conway auto accident lawyer at Johnny Gardner Law will:

  • Meet with you to learn about your case and answer your questions, traveling to the hospital if you are unable to come to our office due to injuries,
  • Investigate your car crash and the other driver,
  • Identify all possible sources of recovery,
  • Gather evidence of liability and damages,
  • Demand full and fair compensation from the insurance companies, and
  • Try your case to a jury if the insurance companies refuse to pay.

What to Do if You are in an Auto Accident with Someone from Another State

What if you are local, and you are in an accident with someone who is in Myrtle Beach or Conway, SC on vacation?

Although they will leave to return to their home state, you can still seek compensation from their insurance company and file a lawsuit if they do not pay – talk to a Conway, SC auto accident lawyer immediately to find out what your next steps are.

What Laws Apply When You are in an Out-of-State Accident?

Each state has its own laws regarding liability and damages. If the accident happened in SC, SC law will apply including SC negligence rules, the types of damages that are available under SC law, the type of proof required to get punitive damages, and SC’s comparative negligence rules.

Questions About Out-of-State Car Accidents?

If you are hurt in an auto accident caused by another driver in Conway or Myrtle Beach, SC, consult with an experienced trial lawyer immediately who can help you to gather the evidence you need to prove liability and damages, settle your claim for full and fair compensation, and try your case to a jury if the insurance company doesn’t pay.

Call Johnny Gardner Law now at 843-248-7135 or send us an email through our website to find out how we can help.